Saturday, January 06, 2007

Da Mystery of Chessboxin'




Happy New Year!




I was back in BC for the holidays and it was nice to see old friends and reminisce about the old days despite the rain and all that. That being said, I want to pass along one of my favorite stories when I was hanging with my boys.

One night, me, O and P were just hanging out. This is a nice little park on the Fraser River with barbecues, basketball courts, and you can hear the tug boats chug by towing timber or whatever the cargo of the day is. Anyway, we were just hanging out and for some reason talking boxing. The usual you know, how great Roy Jones Jr. really was etc. So the next logical step from a discussion about boxing is to actually do a little sparing yourself, right?


So O and P start boxing, and when you're a little wasted, I have to admit, it looked really cool. We weren't black belts or anything, but me, O and P all have a little fight background and P still had a speed bag in his basement, so I again reiterate that it was really cool. These guys weren't trying to hurt each other, just some basic shadow boxing.


P was using his reach advantage to try and back up the shorter O with some stiff arm jabs so O all of a sudden makes a move. He bobs under a couple of P's jabs but then O makes a fatal error.


Instead of ducking low and protecting his face and work the body he decides to aim high exposing his face then...BAM!


P just nails him right between the eyes!


"Dude, you hit me!"


"I didn't mean to man"


"You fucking hit me!"


"You walked right into it, I didn't expect you to lead with your head"


After a couple laughs, they made up and we booked it a bit later.


The next night....


Me, P and O are hanging out again and decide to pull over to have a puff. This was an ok spot too, just hanging out on a pedestrian overpass chilling. So I don't know exactly how it happened but O and I started shadow boxing with each other.


As opposed to the previous fight, O wasn't using his reach advantage over me to back me up. Instead, after some stand up exchanges he decides to rush me low. So I pulled out a little Rumble in the Jungle and rope-a-doped him for a while. Then, instead of ducking low and protecting his face and work the body he decides to aim high exposing his face then...BAM!


I nailed him right between the eyes...in the same spot!


"Dude, you hit me!"


"I didn't mean to man"


"You fucking hit me!"


"You walked right into it, I didn't expect you to lead with your head"


HAHAHAHA different people, same results. O was super pissed man. He still gets mad at me for telling this story to this day. But you know, its really funny...

No comments: