Thursday, April 06, 2006

California Love Part 2: the joj-man

Part of why I visited LA was a surprise to my Dad on his birthday. It was nice to see him but this time was a little different because not only did he grow a goatee, he recently joined a band called "LA Rythm" (insert gay joke here).

<- The joj-man in his "acting"prime

Anyway, last Saturday was their 'showcase,' aka their first gig. For anyone that doesn't know, my Dad was a pretty popular singer/sometimes movie star back in the PI. I always heard the stories but never really gave the thing much thought. Considering the "Rythm" had only been together for a couple weeks I didn't know what to expect.

The joj-man's album Cover ->

Saturday's concert was excellent. I had never really heard my father sing before, but you can tell the guy used to be a performer. Despite the venue being a restaurant/karaoke bar you could tell he knew his way around a stage and the glimmer of the old rock star in him could still be seen in his eyes .

Whatever happens, whether this is a hobby or some comeback attempt, I hope he's happy about it and wish him the best.

The point of the story? I guess no matter how well you may think you know someone, they can always surprise you.

Good luck pops, I love ya.

2 comments:

RT said...

Liking the album cover.

Anonymous said...

Ah, ah, ah...beautiful Sunday!